Can't recognize custom gestures, have questions

May 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Edited May 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
For some reason I have been unable to get any of my custom gestures to be recognized in my kinect project. in order to save my gestures out I did what is posted here to save my gestures out: https://kinecttoolbox.codeplex.com/discussions/439461 and I changed it so that I am saving as xml instead of binary so I can easily remove mistake recordings. The gesture seems to save fine but then when I try to load the gesture and use it in my project none of the custom gestures ever get recognized.

The GoldenSection.Search always comes back with a low score and in order to get any of my gestures to work I need to turn the threshold too low and get far too many false positives. My biggest questions are: does the speed of the gesture matter? I am recording with a windowSize of 60 so as far as I can tell GoldenSection.Pack is stretching my shorter gestures out to 60 frames which is 2 seconds of kinect frame data. Do I need to perform my gestures that slowly for them to be recognized? The other question being: How many samples of the same gesture do I need to record?

My current test gesture is flapping my right arm up to where it would be for a t pose and then back to strait down. I have also tried a circular motion but to no avail.

I am passing the right hand position into my TemplatedGestureDetector's Add every Skeleton frame like so:
if (skelly.Joints[JointType.HandRight].TrackingState == JointTrackingState.Tracked)
{
    templatedGestureDetector.Add(skelly.Joints[JointType.HandRight].Position, OurSensor, coordinateMapper);
}
Edit: I do have the built in swipes working and postures, it's just the custom gestures that elude me.
May 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM
It may not be that helpful, but what I found was, the position between you and your Kinect sensor can affect the results of recognition a lot. Make sure you have moved around, if your recording does not get recognized properly. Helped me a lot.

good luck!
Jun 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I've tried moving to several different locations in my recordings but it doesn't seem to help.
Jul 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
yes,I need help
Aug 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM
I canot get get custom gestures to recoginize either. Loading them does not mean they are recognized their is a difference.